The decision to stop smoking is one that you’ll have to make yourself, and you should be given time and support to make the decision.
It’s important to recognise that you’re not powerless if you’ve become a smoker.
There are other things that you can do to help yourself stop smoking, including:
- Using nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)
- Learning to cope with the physical and emotional effects of smoking
- Learning to manage your stress levels, and take action if you’re feeling stressed
- Making healthy choices and eating a healthy, balanced diet
- Being active and getting enough sleep
- Practicing relaxation techniques
Depending on the specific brand, you might be prescribed:
- Nicotine patches
- Nicotine gum
- Nicotine lozenges
- Nicotine-infused vapes
- Nicotine inhalers
You can buy these products from community pharmacies, without a prescription.
These drugs have a number of properties that make them ideal for helping you stop smoking.
They’re quick, convenient and easy to use. They’re also highly effective, and you’ll see considerable results within a few months.
One of the best things about using NRT is that you can stop smoking when you want to. You don’t have to wait until you’re feeling stressed or anxious, or after a cigarette.
You can stop whenever you want, and you can use the drug whenever you need to.
Using NRT can help you stop smoking in the following ways:
- It helps you to manage your cravings. You’ll be able to control when you feel the need to smoke, and you won’t get the urge as often.
- It helps you to manage your withdrawal symptoms. This means you’ll be able to deal with the physical and emotional effects of nicotine withdrawal.
- It helps you to make healthier decisions. You’ll be able to control the amount of cigarettes you smoke, and you’ll be able to choose healthier alternatives.
- You’ll be less likely to feel stressed, anxious or depressed.
It’s not a replacement for other, more long-term treatments. NRT is just one part of a whole package of support that can help you stop smoking.
This might include support with your physical health, and support with your mental health. It might also involve:
- Support with exercise and healthy eating habits.
- Counselling to help you develop your skills to cope with stress.
- A therapist to help you deal with stress, anxiety and depression.
- Stress management courses. You can learn to deal with stress more effectively.
- Learning to manage your sleep.
You might also be referred to a specialist for help with your physical health.
How To Stop Smoking?
There are many ways of quitting smoking, and each method has its own pros and cons.
The first step is to acknowledge that you’re a smoker and that you want to stop.
You have the right to make this decision, and it’s crucial that you take the steps to do so.
Here are some of the most effective ways of quitting smoking:
- Quitting smoking in the comfort of your own home
Having a cigarette in your hand is a habit that’s hard to break. If you feel you need a cigarette now and then, here are some tips to help you do it without getting addicted and developing a dependence on cigarettes:
- Take a break. Get up and move around every 30 minutes. Move around by walking, stretching or using a stationary bike.
- Quit when you’re feeling stressed or anxious. Cigarette smokers often have low self-esteem. This means that they often feel that they need a cigarette to feel better.
- Choose a quit date instead of a time when you’re feeling stressed or anxious. Choose a day when you won’t be feeling stressed or anxious. Stick with your plan at that time.
- Get support. Find a local support group, or join one if you’re not in a big city. Ask your doctor or a support group for suggestions.
- Work with your doctor to find the right dose of NRT.
Quitting smoking at work
It’s not always easy to quit smoking at work, because:
- Your workplace has the power to influence your behaviour.
- Smoking at work can be seen as a sign of weakness or failure.
- It’s not always easy to change your smoking habits at work.
If you plan to stop smoking at work, you’re going to need help.
There are some things that you can do to help make it easier to stop smoking:
- Talk about it. If you know that someone close to you is also a smoker, you might be able to help them quit.
- Find an effective quit plan. You might find it easier to quit when you have a plan. A quit plan is a comprehensive action plan, usually written by a professional, that helps you to plan your day-to-day life. It helps you to plan for the day you plan to quit.
- Ask your employer if you can change your smoking habits. Ask for an appointment with their Employee Assistance Program. Your employer’s healthcare department can help you find out if they offer this service.
Quitting smoking in public places
Smoking in public places can be a problem. It can affect the health of other people in the area, and it can affect your health.
You should try to stop smoking when you’re in an area where there’s a high risk of you being exposed to secondhand smoke.
Secondhand smoke is smoke that’s exhaled by smokers. It can affect people who are nearby. You can find out more about this here.
You might also need to give up smoking in certain places. You should avoid areas where there are:
- Public bars, nightclubs and restaurants
- Places where there’s a lot of people
- Places where there’s a lot of traffic
If you’re concerned that you might be exposed to secondhand smoke, you can ask someone in your workplace or a support group for advice.
How To Quit Smoking?
Quitting smoking isn’t easy, but it can be done. You can do it by yourself, or you can do it with the help of a support group.
The first step is to recognise that you’re a smoker. If you’ve never tried to quit, it’s important that you start today.
It’s also important that you do it in a way that’s comfortable for you.
Some people find it helpful to do so in a group. You can ask your doctor or your local hospital for a list of support groups.
Ask your friends or family for help as well. Ask them to encourage you to quit.
If you want to quit smoking for good, you’ll need to make changes to your lifestyle. You’ll also need to make changes to your environment.
These changes can be challenging, but they’re an important part of getting through to the other side.
You’ll see results in a few weeks, and you’ll be able to stop smoking.
Quitting smoking is a long-term process. It’s a process that doesn’t just begin with a single step. It has to be a long-term process.
Quitting smoking is an important part of the overall goal of good health. It can help you to live a longer, healthier life.
If you want to quit smoking, you can do it. You can do it by yourself, or you can do it with the help of a support group.
It’s not easy to quit smoking, but you might be able to do it
Images by Freepik