Some people have a hard time quitting in the first place. Others have trouble following a quit plan. Nicotine affects people in different ways. These factors affect how you quit smoking.
It’s important to know what to expect from smoking and quitting. There are things you can do to help yourself. Keep reading to find out more about why smoking is bad for you and what you can do to quit.
Why Smoking Is Bad for You?
Smoking is bad for your health in several ways. Here are the most important ones.
Cancer, Heart, and Lung Problems
Smoking is bad for your lungs. It can cause bronchitis, a cough, and other problems. This can lead to other health problems.
It also causes a lot of damage to the lungs. This is especially true for people who smoke a lot, or who inhale very deeply.
The damage you can do to your lungs is much worse than the damage you do to your heart.
If you smoke too much or are a heavy smoker, you can have a hard time quitting. If you don’t quit, you’ll have a hard time recovering.
Smoking is bad for your heart. It can damage your heart and other organs. The damage can cause a heart attack. It can also cause a lot of other problems.
Smoking can also weaken your heart muscle. This weakens your heart and makes it hard for you to exercise.
It can also make you have high blood pressure. High blood pressure can lead to a heart attack.
Problems With Your Nervous System
Smoking can affect your brain and nervous system. It can lead to mood swings and depression. It can also lead to memory problems.
It can also affect your ability to think clearly. If you smoke a lot, you can get into trouble with your thinking. You may start to make mistakes.
You can also have trouble with your memory. You may forget a lot of things.
Long-Term Effects of Smoking
Smoking is bad even when you stop. It can cause many health problems.
Long-term effects of smoking can include:
- A build-up of plaque in your arteries, which can lead to heart disease.
- Nerve damage that may lead to pain.
- A reduced number of lung cells.
- Reduced lung function.
- Damage to your lungs.
Is Smoking Good for You?
For most people, smoking is not a good thing. You can do things to help yourself quit.
Tobacco Smoke: The Bad Stuff
Different types of tobacco make different amounts of smoke. They also contain different amounts of harmful chemicals. Here are some of the things that come from smoking:
- Particulate matter. This is tiny, hard, sticky particles found in smoke. These can damage your lungs and other parts of your body.
- Nicotine. It’s a chemical found in tobacco. It makes you want to smoke. It also makes you feel good when you smoke.
- Carbon monoxide. This is a gas that can get into your body when you smoke. It can be dangerous.
- Cancer-causing chemicals. These are found in tobacco smoke. They can cause cancer.
The Good Stuff: Nicotine
Nicotine is a chemical that makes you want to smoke. It’s also a chemical that can help you quit.
Nicotine is also a drug. It can help you get through withdrawal. It can also help you stay quit.
Nicotine can help you stop smoking. It can also help your body get used to not being smoke. This is called nicotine replacement therapy. This is a way to help you quit.
Some people who need nicotine replacement therapy also use varenicline (Chantix). It’s used to help you quit.
Quitting Helps You Quit Smoking
It’s not easy to quit smoking. Quitting can be hard. You may feel tempted to smoke. But it’s important to stay away from cigarettes.
It’s also important to make sure you stay away from other types of tobacco. You should also avoid the places where you smoke. This can help you get used to not smoking.
If you try to quit, be prepared to go through withdrawal. You may feel bad for weeks. You may also feel like you want to smoke. This is called cravings. It can be tough to stop.
If you use nicotine replacement therapy, you may need a prescription for it. You may also need it if you have withdrawal symptoms.
Quitting Can Be Hard, But It Can Be Worth It
Quitting is hard. Nicotine replacement therapy can help you stay quit. It can also help you get used to not being smoke.
You can also do things to help yourself stay quit. These include:
- Using nicotine replacement therapy.
- Trying to quit.
- Quitting other types of tobacco.
- Managing other stress.
- Taking your medication as prescribed.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy
Nicotine replacement therapy is a way to help you stop smoking. It can help ease your withdrawal symptoms. It can also help you get used to not smoking.
It helps you to stay quit. It can also help you keep your body used to not smoking. This is called “nicotine withdrawal.”
Nicotine replacement therapy can be used with or without nicotine replacement therapy (NRT).
How Do You Know If You Need Nicotine Replacement Therapy?
Ask your doctor if you need NRT. Your doctor can help you decide if you need it.
You may also want to ask your doctor if you need NRT if:
- You smoke.
- You have other health problems.
- You’ve tried quitting, but you’re still smoking.
- You’ve tried quitting without NRT, but you’re still smoking.
- You’ve done things to help you quit, but you’re still smoking.
- You’ve used NRT and you still think you need it.
- You’re not interested in quitting.
- You don’t want to take NRT.
- You want to quit, but you’re not sure how.
Your doctor can help you decide if you need NRT. It can help you quit smoking.
What is the takeaway?
Quitting smoking is hard. But it’s also worth it. If you can’t quit, it can be hard to manage your health. But with the right habits, you can still manage your health.
You can do things to help yourself. These include:
- Quitting other types of tobacco, like cigars and pipes.
- Getting used to not being smoke. This is called nicotine replacement therapy.
- Using NRT.
Quitting is hard. But it’s worth it
Images by Freepik