Hypnotherapy can help you to stop smoking, and it’s a technique that has been around for a long time.
In fact, as far back as the 1800s, a technique known as hypnotherapy was used to help people quit smoking. But it wasn’t until about 50 years later that hypnotherapy hit the mainstream.
The idea is that you can enter a trance-like state, and then you will gradually begin to smoke less and less.
Of course, hypnotherapy is not a cure for addiction to smoking. A person must also take steps to quit on their own, including making a quit plan and setting up support.
But hypnotherapy can be a helpful complementary treatment for people who have a nicotine addiction.
Does Hypnosis Help to Stop Smoking?
The answer is yes.
There are a number of reasons for this.
Hypnosis is a very relaxing state. It allows you to enter a trance-like state without being aware of it. You enter a state of relaxation, and you can then focus on anything else that you would like to focus on.
The power of positive thinking
In hypnosis, you can use your willpower to focus on a positive outcome, and you can use other techniques to help you to achieve that outcome.
Hypnosis can help you to:
- Increase your awareness of the choices you’re making
- Improve your motivation and energy
- Improve your self-confidence and self-esteem
- Improve your ability to manage your stress
Hypnosis can also help you to:
- Learn new behaviors
- Make changes that you want to make
- Make changes that will benefit you in the long run
What’s the best way to use hypnosis?
There are at least two ways to practice hypnosis:
- In-person hypnotherapy. This is when you go to a practitioner in a clinic or therapy office for a session.
- Online hypnotherapy. This is where you connect with a practitioner through a video chat.
There are a number of reasons for choosing one approach over the other.
In-person therapy can be more convenient, and you can also have more control over the timing of your sessions. But it can also be more expensive.
Online therapy offers more flexibility and is usually more affordable. But it’s also more likely to require a longer commitment.
Hypnosis is a powerful state. It can have a dramatic effect on your thoughts, behaviors, and mood.
There’s also more risk associated with using hypnosis in a clinic or therapy office. The therapist may be able to use hypnosis to help you quit smoking, but they may not be able to stop smoking themselves.
On the other hand, online hypnotherapy is generally a more relaxed and controlled state. This is because it involves using a video camera and an audio feed.
Does Hypnosis for Smoking Work?
The short answer is no.
In a 2018 study, researchers tested a number of clinical hypnosis techniques. Among the participants were people who were trying to quit smoking.
But the researchers found that hypnotherapy, including hypnotherapy for smoking cessation, did not help to stop smoking.
Instead, the participants in the study were more likely to try the other techniques first.
Other studies have had similar results. In a 2012 study, researchers evaluated the effectiveness of hypnotherapy for smoking cessation and found that hypnotherapy didn’t work.
A more recent study from 2016 also found that hypnotherapy for smoking cessation didn’t work.
In other words, hypnotherapy for smoking cessation hasn’t been proven to be effective.
There are still some people who claim it works. But there are also many people who have tried it and found that it didn’t work for them.
In fact, the American Society of Addiction Medicine recommends against using hypnotherapy for smoking cessation.
Why It Doesn’t Work?
There are many reasons why hypnotherapy for smoking cessation doesn’t work. Here are a few of the most important ones:
- Hypnosis doesn’t have any scientific evidence that it can help to stop smoking.
- Hypnotherapy can make you feel like you’re going to fall asleep, but you’re not actually asleep.
- You may not be in a relaxed state. You may be very focused on the hypnotherapy, and you may not be in a relaxed state.
- You may not be able to focus on the hypnotherapy. If you want to quit smoking, your mind may be focused on all the reasons you want to quit that don’t actually apply to you.
What’s the best way to quit smoking?
The best way to stop smoking is to stop smoking.
That’s easier said than done.
There are a number of things that can help you to stop smoking. Here are a few of them:
- Cut down on or quit smoking all the products that you use in your home, car, or work.
- Use nicotine replacement therapies. These are medications that you can buy over the counter. They help you to stop smoking by providing you with nicotine.
- Get support. There are a number of resources available online, including free support groups.
- Change your beliefs. If you believe that smoking is good for you, or that it’s a necessary part of your life, you may find that these beliefs shift over time.
- Get more support. There are other resources available as well, including programs that can help you to quit.
If you’d like to learn more about how to stop smoking, you can read our article on how to quit smoking.
Does Hypnosis for Smoking Cessation Work?
There’s actually some scientific evidence that suggests hypnosis can help to stop smoking.
In a 2016 study, researchers found that hypnosis can help smokers achieve long-term abstinence. These results can be explained by two factors.
- Hypnosis can help you to stop smoking through the placebo effect. This is when you believe that a treatment is having its desired effect.
- Hypnosis can help to decrease cravings. Studies have shown that hypnosis can help people to be in a relaxed state when they’re craving cigarettes.
The researchers in the study also found that hypnosis can help to increase cravings for other types of nicotine replacement therapies.
They also found that hypnosis can help to increase the number of cigarettes people smoke per day.
More recently, researchers in a 2017 study found that hypnotherapy can help people to stop smoking. They found that hypnotherapy can help people to reduce cravings and increase the number of cigarettes they smoke.
In other words, hypnotherapy can help you to stop smoking.
Does Hypnotherapy for Smoking Cessation Work?
The short answer to that question is no.
There have been studies that suggest that hypnotherapy can help people to stop smoking. But there’s no evidence that it can help people to quit smoking.
The bottom line
Hypnotherapy is a type of talk therapy. There are many types of talk therapy, but hypnotherapy is one type of technique
The only people who can use hypnotherapy for smoking cessation are people who are already smokers.
Hypnotherapy is not a stand-alone treatment for smoking cessation. Instead, it’s a treatment for quitting smoking.
Hypnotherapy can sometimes help people to stop smoking. But it’s not a cure-all. If you want to stop smoking, you need to stop smoking.
Hypnotherapy may help you to stop smoking temporarily. But it can’t help you to quit smoking.
There are lots of other things that you can do that will help you to stop smoking. You can read more about them in our article on how to quit smoking.
You can also learn more about hypnotherapy by reading the article below
Images by Freepik