It is estimated that 7.5 million people in the United States smoke cigarettes.
Smoking is the most common cause of preventable death in the United States.
Smoking cigarettes is one of the leading causes of preventable death and illness.
How Cigarettes Are Made?
Cigarettes are made from a tobacco mixture, which is also called “tobacco” or “nicotine.”
The tobacco mixture consists of two main components:
- CIGARETTES The main ingredient that gives cigarettes their flavor.
- A WATER-TABLET (a.k.a. “TANK”) The main ingredient that provides the nicotine.
Cigarettes are made from tobacco leaves. The leaves are cut and dried into small bits, then mixed with the water-tablets. The mixture is then rolled into a cigarette.
Cigarettes are made from tobacco leaves. Cigarettes are rolled and cut into small bits. The tobacco mixture is mixed with water, which helps the tobacco burn faster.
What is the Effect of Smoking on Your Body?
Smoking is bad for your body. It directly affects your lungs, and it causes damage to your heart, your blood vessels, and your liver.
Smoking damages your heart. A damaged heart can’t pump blood efficiently, which can cause blood to pool in your lungs and cause:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Heart attack
Smoking damages your blood vessels. A damaged blood vessel can’t carry blood efficiently. This can cause:
- High blood pressure
Smoking is bad for your lungs. A damaged lung can’t breathe normally. Smoking also increases your risk of a chronic cough, respiratory infections, and a lung disease called chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
How Do You Stop Smoking?
Smoking is addictive and hard to quit. You can’t just decide to stop smoking. It’s a long-term decision that requires a lot of planning and commitment.
There are many different ways to quit smoking, but the most successful ways are:
- Nicotine replacement products
- Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)
- Motivational enhancement therapy (MET)
- Behavioral therapy
- NRT counseling
- Support groups
Nicotine replacement products
Nicotine replacement products, also called “nicotine patches,” “nicotine gels,” or “vaporizers,” help you to reduce your cravings. These products are available over-the-counter (OTC) at your local drugstore.
Nicotine replacement products are available in different strengths. The strength you need will depend on how much nicotine you need to replace. The stronger the product, the more nicotine you’ll be able to get from it.
- A physical condition, such as an injury to the mouth
- An addiction to tobacco
Nicotine gum is also available in different strengths. The strength you need will depend on how much nicotine you need to replace. The stronger the product, the more nicotine you’ll be able to get from it.
Medication is a non-nicotine alternative to help you to stop smoking. Medications such as varenicline (Chantix) and bupropion (Wellbutrin) help you to stop smoking by changing the way that nicotine reaches your brain.
The medications work in different ways.
Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is an antidepressant. It helps you to stop smoking by changing the way that nicotine reaches your brain. Bupropion works by increasing your ability to think logically and stay motivated.
If you are taking bupropion, don’t stop taking it. Talk to your doctor before you stop taking it.
NRT and NRT counseling
NRT can be delivered in a group or one-on-one setting. It can help you to:
- Stop smoking your own cigarettes, even if you prefer to use a water pipe or bong. NRT can help you to stop smoking your own cigarettes, even if you prefer to use a water pipe or bong.
- Stop smoking tobacco products that contain nicotine. NRT can help you to stop smoking tobacco products that contain nicotine.
- Stop smoking tobacco products that have nicotine but aren’t as addictive. NRT can help you to quit smoking tobacco products that have nicotine but aren’t as addictive.
- Change your perception of the need to smoke. NRT can help you to stop smoking your own cigarettes, even if you no longer crave them.
Images by Freepik